Friday, May 10, 2013

Stitching the Blues Away...

 Pollyanna where were you yesterday?
It seems like every Mother's Day - I get the Blues.  Partly because my kids are scattered across the West, and can't all come and be with me. And partly because I miss my Mother every year.  It's been a very long time since she hasn't been around to Celebrate any Holiday with.   I know I'm not alone on this. Last year at this time I was at a Quilt Show in Idaho and spending time with my Son and his family.  I blogged about it HERE. I've had to have the same conversation with two of my children this week.  I really feel like I am a broken record and I'm sorry.  I just don't feel too special, when it's so hard to get the family together. I try to be flexible and not demanding, but sometimes it's hurts when I do try to plan and my plans never come off without so much grief! So it will be one family on Saturday and two on Sunday for Dinner time.  I had a friend who used to say, "You take what you get, and don't throw a fit".  I'll try and be happy even though I will still be ALONE most of the day.

So, to TRY and keep from crying, I had to get stitching, in spite of my hand.  I have to do my own type of THERAPY!  Playing with my Purple Roses Fabrics from Jackie Robinson and the quilt pattern I started at the Block Party with Debbie Caffery. I got the Blocks all made for the "Thank Your Lucky Stars" center. Using strip piecing, the Tri-Recs ruler and Marti Michell's "C" Templates. I did all of the un-sewing earlier this week so I was ready to sew them the right way.  Rotary Cutting still hurts but I got it done. 
Here they are arranged on my Living room floor.

Next I get to sew the Blocks together and add the borders.  I like how the secondary STAR shows up.
I have a leftover trial block with a cream star and dark background.  This one will go on the back, I guess.

I used my Midnight Flight 4-patches as leader/enders while I sewed on Thursday. I'm getting quite a pile of them. Parts and pieces of the 4-patches. Hot Pink Swirls and Shadow play Blue with a variety of 'neutrals'. Pressed ready to CUT, finger-pressed- centers spun, and ready to stitch. 
I am glad I finally learned to spin those centers. THANKS to Bonnie Hunter.
                                    
Did anyone notice I didn't BLOG on WEDNESDAY??? That's just how my week has gone.

 Happy Mother's Day to all my Bloggy Friends and Family!  
I hope you all have a family filled day, if that is your wish.

3 comments:

  1. Mary your quilt is beautiful!
    I'm sorry you are hurting at this time. I know it is sometimes hard to see all the people we have touched in our lives, especially when we so easily compare ourselves to others. A few months ago I came across a quote I really liked, I don't remember it exactly or who it came from but it went something like this. Don't compare your "behind the scenes" moments to everyone else's highlight reel. This has helped put things a little more in perspective and sometimes it helps me to not compare myself to others as much.
    I hope you can find some peace and enjoy Mother's Day, because I know you (and all mothers) are just try to do their best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mothers Days Mary enjoy the day by doing what you love ( for me that's quilting ) and know that you are very lucky to have children that love you even if they can't be with you. The quilt looks great I love the shades of blue. :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being alone isn't so bad when you having your quilting to keep you busy! Our family is like that too...it's so hard to all be in one location at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments here!
I Love reading your comments.

Note: I don't share any of your Private information!

Blog Archive

Blog of the week!

Blog of the week!
Second time winner

Blogger's Quilt Festival

AmysCreativeSide.com