Sunday, September 13, 2009

My Eldest Son's 32 Birthday

32 Years ago my 1st child was born. He was born a week early and my mother didn't get to come and be with me at all. They were barely allowing the daddy's in the delivery room then. I had spent the day before making my favorite "Chili Sauce" with my Mom and Dad. I went to bed around 11:30pm and was awakened with my water breaking about 1am. I made the Chili sauce for a Christmas gift that year for my brother's family. I'm including the recipe here. I've changed it a bit over the years adding some stuff my Grandma Waite couldn't use because of her allergy. One of my Facebook Quilty friends that made it after I shared the recipe with her, halved the recipe and cooked it overnight in her crock pot. She said it should come with a warning. May cause you to wake up hungry in the night...It smells so good. I hope he gets some yummy coconut cake that his wife makes for him. Happy Birthday, Milton! Mary Crowther's Grandma's Chili Sauce 30 peeled tomatoes 12 apples, peeled and grated 10 onions, peeled and grated 1 stalk celery chopped fine 2-3 green and red peppers,(ie: 2 green, 1 red) 1 Quart Vinegar 5 cups sugar 2 teas salt 1/4 teas cloves 2 teas cinnamon 1 teas allspice I put all the veggies and apples in my food processor to chop. Mix the liquid with the sugar and spices and dump into the tomato and veggies and apples in a BIG pot and simmer until thick and liquid is reduced. I use a pressure canner or 2 large pots. I try and cook it at least 8 hours. Stirring frequently. This takes all day... Wash all jars and boil lids in saucepan of water. Ladle the boiling chili sauce into jars and seal. Water bath for 10 minutes. Makes about 15 pints.

2 comments:

  1. Cloves, but I think there is something in the allspice that she couldn't have too. She ommited those form her recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments here!
I Love reading your comments.

Note: I don't share any of your Private information!

Blog Archive

Blog of the week!

Blog of the week!
Second time winner

Blogger's Quilt Festival

AmysCreativeSide.com