Thursday, January 13, 2011

150 Anniversary of the Civil War

I have a new fabric that I have been collecting. See the 3 FQ's in the front of the picture? Those came to me in the Birthday Fat Quarter Swap that I hostess every year with my WASIQ on-line group. I asked for Civil War or 30's repros. I also have soem "thimbleberries" to add to the mix. I think I have enough now to make one of the Replica Quilts. I have purchased some of the Books with the Stories that go with each Block. "The Civil War Love Letters" and "The Civil War Diary Quilt". Both of these have small blocks like the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. I'm not excited to make the 121 blocks needed for these quilts at the 5-1/2" size. I found out this year Barbara Brackman is doing a 8" Civil War Quilt -Block of the Week BLOG. 8" blocks are much more appealing to me and one block a Week is 'do-able' with all the things I have committed to do this year. I should be able to finish a set of 8" blocks with what I already have collected so I won't have to report new fabrics on my Stash Report. And this won't be officially a UFO until the end of the year, and that is only if I don't sew them into a flimsy right away. They are only on the second week so I not too far behind right now.
Dustin has set up this Flicker group if you want to see all of the blocks as they are finished in the Block of the Week. http://www.flickr.com/groups/civilwarquilts2011/
Here are a few Blogs I will follow doing the Civil War quilt- My Blogging Friends lead me astray frequently...
http://patspattering.blogspot.com/2011/01/civil-war-quilts.html http://tazziequilts.blogspot.com/2011/01/block-2-north-star.html Kathie blogs about Antique replica mini quilts- very inspiring. http://inspiredbyantiquequilts.blogspot.com/ I got inspired back in my first Design Wall Post HERE . I still have to cut into the fabric for the Monchromatic challenge. Too many quilts, so little time. I can make MINI quilts and Hand quilt them while I visit my new grandchildren, RIGHT??? Later today I got the 2 blocks done. It really doesn't take long to make a block.
I also found a blog that has a 16" block...
Thanks Nancy Rink Designs for the BOM. "Ode to the Blue & Grey" click to go see the block 1 and buy a kit to make it too. If you don't have the STASH to make this quilt, a kit would be a nice thing. I know I'm tempting you...

2 comments:

  1. I have the desire to join in, but not the fabric:)
    I'm looking forward to going shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you dare tempt me - "I will not start a another project, I will not start another project". I'll have to follow your progress and enjoy it vicariously.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments here!
I Love reading your comments.

Note: I don't share any of your Private information!

Blog Archive

Blog of the week!

Blog of the week!
Second time winner

Blogger's Quilt Festival

AmysCreativeSide.com