Friday, July 23, 2010

A long, long time ago Pioneer Day

I've been whining that we aren't "celebrating" Pioneer Day here in Walla Walla all week... I had to go to the dusty old Photo albums to find this picture of the last time I dressed up the family and made covered wagons to "parade" on Pioneer Day. This was in Connell in 1980. Before I had a real daughter to put in the wagon. I remember wanting that little red wagon just for this occasion. I have celebrated other Pioneer days and even been on the Trek and reversed the Trek with DH a few years ago by car. here is my adventurous husband climbing over Independence Rock. Way up there- that tiny speck is him -so far up there on the rock. as for me I walked around the whole roock to find the name of my ancestor who left his name on this rock. P.G. Sessions was his name. He was the son of Patty Bartlett Sessions who was a Pioneer Midwife who kept a diary as she crossed the Plains with Brigham Young to reach the Salt Lake Valley back in 1847. These pictures haven't been Blogged since I started Blogging the year after this trip and the Walla Walla Stake TREK. Only once have I been in UTAH to see the "Days of '47 Parade" on Pioneer Day, July 24th. I see that BYU TV is showing the "Days of 47 Parade" on TV so my DVR is set. I love to see the little primary children sing as they walk and walk and walk... Again this year I will have to miss seeing it and my grandchildren will miss seeing it. I don't know that they have ever seen it! here's another place to see some 'old Parade' Pictures. If I could, I'd put the songs on here to play ... Pioneer Children sang as they walked and walked and walked and walked... BLESSED HONORED PIONEER!

1 comment:

  1. I remember being in Salt Lake for the parade one year. That was probably the first time I saw the Prophet. Was that the 24th of July parade?
    Our boys wont be in Utah tomorrow but we are planning to be in Pocatello for a parade there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments here!
I Love reading your comments.

Note: I don't share any of your Private information!

Blog Archive

Blog of the week!

Blog of the week!
Second time winner

Blogger's Quilt Festival

AmysCreativeSide.com