![]() |
| Ransom Family Christmas Quilt- 2008 |
I made the blocks and took them out to my Quilt Buddies to figure out how to sash and border them. I made the LOG CABIN blocks to fill in between the Nutcracker and Train blocks. Log Cabin is NOT my favorite Block to make. I can't make them without 'frogging' a lot! I want to piece them going clockwise and get so mixed up. After a few tries this setting came to be and the quilt kept growing it seemed. I liked the scrappy sashing that I used and quilted the huge quilt on my home sewing machine. I quilted the names of the family in the quilting. The Ransom Family got the Biggest Quilt, but not because I love them more- it just turned out that way. This quilt wanted to be HUGE! A side note: It's almost time for the week-end of the Annual Production of the Mid-Columbia Ballet's Nutcracker in Richland and my son-by-love and grand daughter from this family will be in it. I get to go and see them perform on Saturday, December 10th!
So Tonight as the Families begin their rounds of sleeping with their Christmas Quilts, as they sleep beneath them- I want to remind them how much Grandma Loves them!
The idea is to get the Quilt out on December First and starting with the youngest in the Family take turns sleeping under the "Christmas Quilt" for the 24 days before Christmas. On Christmas Eve the Christmas Quilt goes under the tree for Santa to have a nap. My firend, Wendy gave me the idea and wrote the Poem that I gave with each Quilt. I'll post it here, just in case you feel like making some "Christmas Quilts" for your family.
I am a little Christmas quilt
For Christmas time this year.
I don’t do very much, you see
But I’m given to someone dear.
Beginning on One December
The family’s littlest one
Sleeps beneath its loving warmth
Until the night is done.
The next night of the month
The next child does the same.
Continue through the coming days
Let each one enjoy this game.
On Christmas Eve beneath the tree
Lay the quilt so dear.
For Santa wants to feel its warmth
And hopefully linger near.
On Christmas morning bright and early
Enjoy the love abound.
Then wash and store me for the time
When Christmas comes around.
I’m still a little Christmas quilt
For Christmas time this year
If I become all tattered and torn
I’m glad it’s by you my dear!
Written by Wendy Turner (edited by Mary Crowther)

awww. that is such a cute quilt .
ReplyDeleteI love the quilt and the significance of the blocks you made for it. It makes it extra special.
ReplyDeletelovely quilt
ReplyDeleteWonderful quilt and so full of memories. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun tradition, Mary! That is a great Christmas quilt. I made Christmas pillowcases for my kids and Grandkids last year, but haven't made any of them a quilt yet.
ReplyDeleteHey, this is really cool. Love the combination of the log cabins with your pictorial blocks.
ReplyDeleteChristmas and trains just go together!! Cute.
ReplyDeleteWe are so excited! WE love our Christmas quilt and can't wait to get it out tonight! Thanks!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm loving the trains. You've made a real treasure.
ReplyDeleteCarolyn
I love our quilt! Thanks for making it for us! We appreciate your hard work and creativity.
ReplyDelete(I guess that means now I HAVE to get some Christmas decorations out today...)
Hi! First of all, I love, "to quilt or not to quilt..duh!" That brought a HUGE smile to my face!!!! And your train quilt and the story is sweet! Thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteJust a sweet quilt with a story to match. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteSo sweet. I love the way you set the blocks. It is perfect.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely quilt and the poem is wonderful! A great idea!
ReplyDeleteWhat great memories that quilt is going to hold!! That is very special!
ReplyDeleteAww, what a great tradition and the poem is wonderful! I bet there will be some other families doing this now! Love your quiltie!
ReplyDeleteLovely quilt!
ReplyDeleteso lovely
ReplyDeleteThis is lovely. The trains and nutcrackers look great. Love he traditions of sleeping under the quilt.
ReplyDeletewhat a fun quilt to share with grand kids!! Lovely!
ReplyDeletekaren
Such a sweet quilt and what a wonderful tradition to build in your family - a tradition built around a quilt! Thanks so much for sharing your story. And I am sure the production will be wonderful. Shout Bravo loud and long!
ReplyDeleteToo cute!! I just love fun quilts like this. And it's plenty Christmasy too.
ReplyDeleteWhat an adorable quilt, and a sweet poem.
ReplyDeleteYour sampler is just adorable!! Thanks for stopping by my blog-- Hugs
ReplyDeleteWonderful quilt with loads of meaning!
ReplyDeleteWonderful quilt. Beautiful work and a great story. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLovely quilt
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing family tradition! I love that the blocks have such special meaning, and the idea of taking turns sleeping under it is so much fun!
ReplyDeleteThanks for letting us know about the poem - what a great idea to let the families know how to use the quilt! I'm adding Christmas quilts to my 'to do' list for next year!!
ReplyDeletethanks.
doni @ Oregon coast
So cute. And I love the sweet little poem!
ReplyDeletePretty quilt! Love the poem too!
ReplyDeleteSuch a sweet quilt, with a great story to go along with it. I just love log cabin quilts!
ReplyDeletei love nutcrackers, so this one made me smile!
ReplyDeleteAwesome quilt! Great tradition! Thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun quilt! And the poem is perfect.
ReplyDeleteVery fun! Thank you for sharing it!
ReplyDeleteGreat quilt!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet poem and idea. I have Christmas quilts on the walls but not the beds. I'll have to get busy!
ReplyDeleteLOVE the nutcrackers and trains! My 5 yr old son would go nuts over that quilt. :) So cute.
ReplyDeleteOne year I mentioned I liked nutcrackers. Now my house is filled with them. lol
ReplyDeleteLove your use of the Nutcrackers. This I would love to have in my house.
SallyKingemail@gmail.com
Lovely story and poem! Great quilt too :-)
ReplyDeleteGreat story! Nice that you made a quilt to incorporate things that they love, but in Christmas colors. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLove your quilt and the poem too. good job!
ReplyDelete