A Place for my Quilts, Family and Friends
Sunday, August 8, 2010
Ward Family Campout
I hope everyone is having a restful Sunday...it is the Lords Day of Rest afterall. Today we get to hear from our Returned missionary from Bulgaria. We got to go on the WARD FAMILY CAMPOUT at Teancum Timbers. A LOT has changed since my old Girl's Camp weeks there in the 80's. Paul and I went up early Friday afternoon and got our tent set up in a spot by the Meadow. While driving up we tried to think of the last time we went Tent camping. We vividly remember the 1st time- at Hilgard Park when I was 8 Months pregnant with Milton. My brother came in late the first night and had to let us know he was there and came banging pots and pans.
Next we remembered that we went camping as a Family at Grand Coulee shortly before Joe and Kori got married...in 2001. Not everyone was there but it was a fun week-end. 9 Years ago ---Had it been that long since we had slept in a tent??? Correction---Paul and I didn't sleep in a Tent that time...NaDell reminds me. We slept in the back of the truck Canopy...
Then I thought, OH yea, On the TREK we slept in our Tent. That wasn't really camping though. We had our meals prepared for us and we walked all day. A true adventure, but not like the Camping trips we have in our memories. After that TREK, I was so happy I live now and not in Pioneer times. I'm ever so grateful for my ancestors who did make the efforts to cross the plains and make a life in UTAH.
A couple years ago we tried to use the Tents to camp in the back yard with the grandchildren. I don't count that as a campout either since I slept in the house and tried to corral some of the children who were going in and out of the house all night. It was more fun in the daytime to watch them see all the Balloons.
Back to the Ward Campout...
The Activies committee planned this and we had meals prepared for us that were delicious. I'm thankful for those who planned it and prepared the meals. We especially enjoyed watching the younger families with their children and reminicing about when we had all our little ones at home. Camping with children is a lot of WORK.
One of my Visiting Teachers teased me on FaceBook that I would miss my quilts while camping. I took my little squares with me to draw the line on them for HSTS. I made the airbed in the tent with real sheets and my 70's Pinwheel quilt from home. (I should have brought 3) I got chilled in the night and didn't sleep as well as Paul, but we all know he can sleep anywhere...
Here are a few pictures I took at the evening campfire. The first is TREVOR- Our Returned Missionary who talked of Nephi and his description of his Father - Lehi, who dwelled in a tent.
He went to tell about how in Hebrew a 'Tent' also refers to a Family. So like, Lehi we all are dwelling in a Tent as we live as Families.
This one is of some of us listening to Trevor.
Here's a side shot of Paul who did not look at me when I was taking a picture of the group around the fireside.
Here is My Visiting Teacher and her daughter's friend and her daughter posing for my camera...
The evening ended with singing around the fire. We were led by these silly girls who tried to make us wiggle like they do at Girl's Camp...
We had our SMORES, and that was not photgraphed. I had a two pronged fork that I got to use for my Marshmallows and I had two SMORES with Hershey Almond candy bar...YUMMY! I didn't burn them like I used to do, I was patient and slowly roasted them. I stayed up later than Paul, (no surprise there), with those who were playing games in the Bowery. I helped them learn the Crowther rules for Rummykub. I even helped Brother Marley to win the last game.
Since we were by the Meadow we heard voices in the night of the "Star gazers". My Visiting Teacher didn't "pretend" to be a Bear as she threatened. Brother Lim had seen a bear across the creek the day before and I purposely had Paul put our tent not close to the creek for that reason. Morning came and Paul got up and left me to sleep some more after I folded my quilt in half to get warm. He came and urged me to get up for Breakfast before the appointed time. I wasn't the last one up...
I'm really not a Camper I have decided...Thank heavens for Mariott and Holiday Inn!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(177)
-
▼
August
(19)
- Quilting Challenges...
- Design Wall Monday 8-30-10
- On the Agenda
- Old Friendship -renewed
- Win a "GO" machine from Sweet Paulette
- Design Wall Monday 8-23-10
- Thinking "PINK"
- "Teachers"
- Quilting Gallery "Flowers" Contest
- Posy Needlecase SWAP
- All together- two days of sewing
- Design Wall Monday August 16, 2010
- New project- rainbow colors
- Raffle Quilt Blocks
- Design Wall Monday August 9, 2010
- Ward Family Campout
- Link quit working -
- Another Contest- please vote
- Design Wall Monday August 2, 2010
-
▼
August
(19)
Blog of the week!
Second time winner
You didn't camp out when we went to Grand Coulee. You and dad slept in the back of the truck canopy.
ReplyDeleteYou went to Teancum Timbers with me in the '90's. I think '94 was my first year.
Sounds like a fun ward campout.
NaDell